Thursday, June 3, 2010

Top two mistakes with watchdog timers

Watchdog timers provide a useful fallback mechanism for tasks that hang or otherwise violate timing expectations. In brief, application software must occasionally kick (or "pet") the watchdog to demonstrate things are still working properly. If the watchdog hasn't seen a pet operation in too long, it times out, resetting the system. The idea is that if the system hangs, the watchdog will reset the system to restore proper operation.

The #1 mistake with watchdog timers is not using one. It won't work if you don't turn it on and use it.

The #2 mistake is using an interrupt hooked up to a counter/timer to service the watchdog.  For example, if your watchdog trips after 250 msec, you might have a hardware timer/counter generate an interrupt every 200 msec that runs a task to pet the watchdog. This is, in some ways, WORSE than leaving the watchdog turned off entirely. The reason is that it fools people into thinking the watchdog timer is providing benefit, when in fact it's really not doing much for you at all.

The point of the watchdog timer is to detect that the main application has hung. If you have an interrupt that pets the watchdog, the main application could be hung and the watchdog will get petted anyway. You should always pet the watchdog from within the main application loop, not from a timer-triggered interrupt service routine. (As with any rule you can bend this one, but if it is possible to pet the watchdog when your application has hung, then you aren't using the watchdog properly.) Chapter 29 of my book discusses how to use watchdog timers in more detail.
---

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree. I think the system on which I used to work had an watchdog interval of 15 sec (yes that high) and it was kicked by a background idle process.

    ReplyDelete

Please send me your comments. I read all of them, and I appreciate them. To control spam I manually approve comments before they show up. It might take a while to respond. I appreciate generic "I like this post" comments, but I don't publish non-substantive comments like that.

If you prefer, or want a personal response, you can send e-mail to comments@koopman.us.
If you want a personal response please make sure to include your e-mail reply address. Thanks!

Job and Career Advice

I sometimes get requests from LinkedIn contacts about help deciding between job offers. I can't provide personalize advice, but here are...