Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Embedded Software Risk Areas -- Architecture

Series Intro: this is one of a series of posts summarizing the different red flag areas I've encountered in more than a decade of doing design reviews of industry embedded system software projects. You can read more about the study here. If one of these bullets applies to your project, you should consider whether that presents undue risk to project success (whether it does or not depends upon your specific project and goals). The results of this study inspired the chapters in my book.

Here are the Architecture red flags:
  • No defined software architecture
There is no picture showing the system’s software architecture. (Many such pictures might be useful depending upon the context – but often there is no picture at all.) Ill defined architectures often lead to poor designs and poor quality code.
  • No message dictionary for embedded network
There is no list of the messages, payloads, timing, and other aspects of messages being sent on an embedded real time network such as CAN. As a result, there is no basis for analysis of real time network performance and optimization of message traffic.
  • Poor modularity of code
The design has poorly chosen interfaces and poorly decomposed functionality, resulting in high coupling, poor cohesion, and overly long modules. In particular, interrupt service routines are often too big and mask interrupts for too long. The result is often increased risk of software defects due to increased complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your comments. I read all of them, and I appreciate them. To control spam I manually approve comments before they show up. It might take a while to respond. I appreciate generic "I like this post" comments, but I don't publish non-substantive comments like that.

If you prefer, or want a personal response, you can send e-mail to comments@koopman.us.
If you want a personal response please make sure to include your e-mail reply address. Thanks!

Job and Career Advice

I sometimes get requests from LinkedIn contacts about help deciding between job offers. I can't provide personalize advice, but here are...